Thursday, May 8, 2014

Update: Keeping the Weight Off

I have a confession to make...I gained back more or less 1 kg.

The hardest part about losing weight is keeping it off. I can manage the discipline when I have a clear deadline, but in order to keep your weight it would require a permanent lifestyle change.

I'm lucky as for me it is usually sufficient to do regular exercise in order to keep my weight stable. I will not manage to lose the weight with exercise, but it will keep me at a stable level. I have been paying a bit more attention that I used to before my diet (i.e. I'm still having some unhealthy snacks or an alcoholic drink now and again, but I won't have them on a daily basis anymore - I now see it as a luxury), but I haven't been putting any real effort into keeping my weight stable. In my mind, the goal was reached and the job was done.

If only it were that simple.

I may have only gained back 1 kg but it really hasn't been a very long time. So it's time to get back on track and realize that sugar is evil. It's really, really tasty, but that's part of why it's evil. i will continue to do regular exercise, but I might have to put some more effort into my dietary habits. It's important not to lose sight of the goal.

In addition, my goal was not just to lose weight (ok, I must admit it was the major thing), but to have a healthier lifestyle. A healthy lifestyle does not include a beer and a bag of chips in front of the TV. Nor does it include chocolate as a self-rewarding system for everything and nothing I do on a daily basis. It's important to keep at it and not get weak or lazy just because you've reached your goal weight. You won't be able to keep it that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment