Monday, May 19, 2014

Fear is the Greatest Motivator

I wanted to include a post about dieting for the right reasons. The usual message; don't do it out of pressure from someone else, do it for yourself. Of course you should do it for your own well-being (and keep realistic goals!), but let's be honest here, my real motivation was fear.

Part of me was worried about my BMI climbing up over the limits and the health repercussions, but the thin that drove me the most was my mom. Not because she told me I was fat or forced me on a diet she decided, but the opposite. My mother is a rather curvy woman if we want to give it a flattering name. Don't get me wrong, that doesn't reflect upon her personality or how much she is loved, but it does make life more difficult. I see how she is struggling with physical activity or even finding clothes that fit and not to forget self-image. I feel like her weight is ruining a big part of her life. I'm also seriously concerned about her health.

Knowing that we share much of the genetic coding, I was getting worried when I saw that number on the scale rise. On top of that it was exactly in her twenties that my mother gained the bulk of her weight. Seeing my future in her, I decided to take measures. As I'd never dieted before in my life I wasn't sure how to go about it, so I did some internet research and tried following other people's diet. That lasted like two days.

Having seen my mother go through various diets, I decided I'd have to 200% for it and I'd have to do it my way. Now I have a mother-in-law who a fantastic cook and loves to make me happy with her dishes. Despite the sweet intentions behind it, this could be a bit of a problem. But I can promise you that with the image of me as my mother, I was able to say no to that second piece of cake that she offered me more than once. That's how visualisations work I guess. And that's the power of fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment